FANTASTIC FRIDAY: Tuesdays at the Castle by Jessica Day George


TUESDAYS AT THE CASTLE
by Jessica Day George
Bloomsbury, 2011
ISBN: 978-1-59990-644-7
Middle Grade Fantasy
Grades 3-6
Copy purchased.

ABOUT THE BOOK

Tuesdays at Castle Glower are Princess Celie's favorite days. That's because on Tuesdays the castle adds a new room, a turret, or sometimes even an entire wing. No one ever knows what the castle will do next, and no one-other than Celie, that is-takes the time to map out the new additions. But when King and Queen Glower are ambushed and their fate is unknown, it's up to Celie, with her secret knowledge of the castle's never-ending twists and turns, to protect their home and save their kingdom. This delightful book from a fan- and bookseller-favorite kicks off a brand-new series sure to become a modern classic.

REVIEW

Celie loves Castle Glower, the magical castle in which she lives with her family.  Despite the castle's tendency to confuse everyone and create new rooms and move existing rooms seemingly at it's own whim, Celie loves the place.  In fact, she knows the castle better than anyone else and her self-created atlas proves it.  When her parents disappear, apparently assassinated, her knowledge and connection to the castle become key in helping her brother, Rolf, the Crown Prince, keep his tenuous hold on the kingdom.  But when things look blackest can Celie use her knowledge of the castle to save her family? I loved the castle as a setting, I giggled as I read about the castle's way of treating those not worthy of trusting.  I also loved Celie's spunkyness and determination to save her home and family.  Her brother Rolf is my second favorite character, his sense of humor while dealing with a great deal of pressure from the royal council impressed me.

Plotwise, there were a few things that I wondered about, such as why some people acted the way they did, but this didn't bother me much. Mostly I just enjoyed the story for what it was, a fun, exciting story about a living castle and it's inhabitants. There was plenty of excitement and humor and I highly recommend this one.

 

Comments

  1. I feel great love for this one too--I feel much the same toward it as I would for a kitten! The sequel comes out this year--my boys and I are looking forward to it lots!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I admit I was delighted with the idea of this book at first, and all the endearing characters. But there were so many unexplained issues in the plot (especially at the end), that it was hard to follow. I do hope, however, that others enjoy the sequel! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I liked it as well, especially the sibling relationships. I always like books that show real families (i.e. ones like mine) where the siblings like each other rather than work to undermine each other.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I liked how the Castle had a mind of its own, choosing the King. The siblings interactions were great.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

YA MYTHOLOGY GIVEAWAY HOP

Happily Ever After Giveaway Hop

My Favorite Reads Giveaway Hop