Fantastic Friday: My Very UnFairy Tale Life by Anna Staniszewski

My Very UnFairy Tale Life
written by Anna Staniszewski
Sourcebooks Jabberwocky, 2011
ISBN:  978-1-4022-5946-3
Grades 3-6
Reviewed from ebook copy provided by publisher through NetGalley.

BLURB: "You know all those stories that claim fairies cry sparkle tears and elves travel by rainbow? They're lies. All lies."—Twelve-year-old Jenny has spent the last two years as an adventurer helping magical kingdoms around the universe. But it's a thankless job, leaving her no time for school or friends. She'd almost rather take a math test than rescue yet another magical creature! When Jenny is sent on yet another mission, she has a tough choice to make: quit and have her normal life back, or fulfill her promise and go into a battle she doesn't think she can win.

Things I enjoyed:  The premise of this book I found quite enjoyable.  A girl who travels to other worlds to help fairy tale like kingdoms solve problems.  The situations were definitely unique, not like any others I've ever read.  Jenny tendency to quote cliches is amusing, yet rather appropriate.  I did enjoy the one world she visited that was ruled by a sheep, which I found ironic, since sheep tend to wander when left to their own devices.  The various secondary characters that Jenny interacts with added to humor, especially, Anthony, the Gnome.

Things I didn't enjoy: Jenny comes across as a bit of a complainer which I found annoying.  Not that she doesn't have great reason to complain having lost her parents and not being supported in her adventures the way she would like.  The lack of understanding from the adults Jenny works with also irritated me.  Jenny is only twelve after all.   Certainly, Jenny's desire to have a normal life is understandable, but I didn't find Jenny particularly likable until the end.  I also prefer books with more depth. Most of the secondary characters weren't developed as much as I would have liked either.

However, the book makes for a light fun read with interesting twists and turns.  And certainly young readers will understand Jenny's desire for friendship and normalcy.  The cover is very intriguing and bound to attract readers, especially girls. I don't think I'd have a problem recommending this book as a entertaining, hard to predict read.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

YA MYTHOLOGY GIVEAWAY HOP

Happily Ever After Giveaway Hop

My Favorite Reads Giveaway Hop